Monday, August 3, 2009

2am obsessions


It's 2am, I should be asleep, but instead I am window shopping online. You know how it is more fun to shop with a buddy? Well, given the circumstances, my buddy is Blogger. Here are a few of my favorite finds.


First, a gorgeous asymmetrical bookshelf from www.lavindo.com. In the past year or so, I've somehow transitioned from an aesthetic driven by color to one driven by line. Naturally, this leads me to the pieces that capture the calligraphic simplicity of asian art.

And there you have it, a Chinese serving tray with actual engraved calligraphy. Not so sure I'd like this as well in person, it would have to be really matte and I'd want a translation before I set it in front of my guests for tea.
This necklace from www.imooi.com also has lovely simple lines, and I love the contrast of the unfinished wood against the silver. Although there are other pieces on the site that I prefer to this, I do like birds, which represents another emerging motif in my style. I realized that, subconsciously, the last few things I have purchased for myself have been feather shaped earrings, a dress with a feather print, and a henna tattoo of a bird. Symbolic? C'est possible.
I found this remarkable piece on n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com, an experimental jewelry company. They use nontraditional materials, like this necklace of silicone rubber, and draw inspiration for designs from both nature and computation. This necklace reminds me of a picture in my high school Biology book that I should have been learning about but was drawing instead. Plant cells or art--you decide!


If you like "modern organic living" then you will love www.amenityhome.com. Again, with the simple lines, plus, I've always had a soft spot for soft things. Their pillows are especially pretty.


No comments: