Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dumbwaiter spirit

In the rush, dishes pile up.
A smiling woman who may be missing a tooth furrows her brow in the eagerness to please as I am jammed full of dirty porcelain and slobbery table scraps.
The world is hungry
and my poor mechanisms cannot keep up with its gluttony.
I am as full and as heavy as the room where intelligence could not mask anger--
heaping plates of history and names my palate has not adjusted to
taste like salt and slime and rust--
I cannot swallow it all.
Pakistan Afghanistan India America Britain
Blame Blame Blame
Hate Hate Hate
Money.
A small voice goes unanswered:
"WHat can we do? Is there hope?"
The silent response is the heaviest dish of all.

It is getting hotter in here,
someone has turned on the sun.
I peel off hazy flakes of skin,
the guilt for taking a dirty dish and polishing it with pretty words.
Dramatic Pose: "I haven't suffered enough!"
Even success weighs on me.

And so I wait.
"What for?" Gogo asks.
But I am dumb.
I have no name to speak and console his anxious, hungry, tired self.
I wait
for an invisible hand to pull my straining ropes,
and lower me to a depth I have not been before
that I may be relieved
and the dishes cleaned
So both are fit to serve again.

1 comment:

pearl said...

oh, the glory when he took our place,
but he took my shoulders and he shook my face,
and he takes
and he takes
and he takes.

i will go with you to get t.s. eliot drawn on your lovely wrist.